Monday, September 10, 2012

Triple Dipping


A long, long time ago, when I was a mere first-year trying to make friends, I signed up for a day-hike with UVM’s Outing Club. A discussion about all the hiking available in Vermont may have to be a future post, but today I would like to talk about something even those less inclined to the outdoors can partake in.

Free samples.

That’s right. Delicious, delectable and downright satisfying samples that are all the more mouth-watering because of a price tag every college student can afford — $0.00.

My fellow blogger James previously posted a great entry about City Market’s free samples. I’m about to divulge to you another well-kept secret amongst the outdoor enthusiasts at UVM. It’s called the “triple dipper,” and many Outing Club leaders take their crews on this fabulous adventure after a nice long hike in the beautiful Vermont backcountry.

Triple dipping involves going to three excellent stores on Waterbury-Stowe Road in Waterbury Center, Vt. and devouring their precious free samples.  So take a drive and waltz into the following shops with an open palm and an empty wallet:
  1. Cold Hollow Cider Mill: This fun country store is full of crisp, fresh apple cider, cider donuts, cider jelly, and spiced apple butter all free for the taking.
  2. The Cabot Cheese Annex Store: With a table full of every cheese produced by Cabot, a pile of toothpicks, and even some jam and crackers, you really can’t go wrong.
  3. Lake Champlain Chocolates: Need I say more? I would recommend being a little cautious at this stop because some cashiers have been known to give dirty glares if you take more than one piece, not that this should deter you!

So there you have it — a perfect way to spend an afternoon without spending a dime. Bonus: a full, happy stomach. Enjoy triple dipping and let me know more stores you find that give out a favorite free product!

5 comments:

  1. There was this one time that I went to Lake Champlain Chocolates just by chance and they had these HUGE peanut butter chocolate sample things, but every time I've been back with the intention of getting samples, they haven't had any. I think it's like Narnia, where you have to be thinking about something else in order to find it.

    Also, I went on an Outing Club trip my freshmen year and they certainly didn't do this with us. I feel shortchanged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analogy of Lake Champlain Chocolates to Narnia! It's definitely the most evasive of the stops on Waterbury-Stowe Road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post. I really hope that the outing club leaders take me to this after my first ever hike in Vermont back country next month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this sounds awesome!! I've never heard of this before; definitely need to check it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cabot factory is one of my favorite places on the planet. I always leave with a painfully full stomach, but in the best way possible

    ReplyDelete