Sunday, September 16, 2012

Picking Grapes for Cash?!?! What!?!?


Shelburne Vineyard, a pioneer in Vermont wine making, is looking for hired help to support their commitment to sustainable farming practices and environmental ethics.   Essentially, the vineyard will pay you $9/hr to pick their grapes!  You are getting paid to frolic in overgrown fields of grass with the beautiful Vermont landscape as your playground.  Each grape harvest is flocked by community members, customers and students alike to experience the simple and enjoyable pleasure of grape picking.







I ate my first sweet vineyard grape, which left a purple stain on my tongue and hunger for more. Like Blackbeard on the high seas, I picked, pillaged and plundered those purple pearls, until my basket was full.  I trudged through grass and brambles, with sticky palms and  red liquid dripping down my fingers. I believe my grape picking went a little like this, “one for me, one for the vineyard, one for me, one for the vineyard…ect” Biochemical processes of tannin extraction and fermentation danced in my head as I meandered through thickets, vines and clusters of grapes.  I even tried to contemplate the subtle and aromatic flavors of a merlot compared to the smokey, smoother taste of a Marquette.  But alas, I am no wine connoisseur.   It was my taste for adventure that led me to the vineyard, not wine.  And what a splendid adventure it was. 



The vineyard is located at 6308 Shelburne Rd, Shelburne Vermont.  Harvesting starts at 8:30 a.m.

To partake in this amazing opportunity you can contact:
Ethan Joseph – Vineyard Manager, Assistant Winemaker 

If you would like to learn about some local recipes or about the harvesting, or bottling process you can read Shelburne Vineyard’s blog here.

1 comment:

  1. Wait..this is kind of awesome. Too bad it's at 8:30 in the morning..I'm not much of a early riser.

    ReplyDelete