Monday, September 10, 2012

Half Price Burger Night



Despite five years of living on my own, I am still one of those college aged males that would much rather have a meal prepared for me than go through the process of cooking for myself. It's not that I'm lazy (well... it's not only that I'm lazy). I've just never quite developed a love for the culinary arts that seems to be shared by so many of my peers. The fact that I have worked in restaurants for just about a decade now may have something to do with it as well, but regardless of the reasons, it has forced me to explore the Burlington landscape for the most delicious and cost efficient options for eating out.

Ri Ra's offers one option for half price burgers on Wednesdays 
In The Green Corner: The Defending Champion

Wednesdays present the perfect opportunity to hit the town for some deliciously affordable dinner. Ri Ra's Irish Pub, located at 123 Church street, is one of many restaurants on the bottom block of the pedestrian only strip that offers a plethora of dining options. Although it is indeed a chain, the authentic interior of the Irish pub consisting almost entirely of Irish hardwood instantly brings with it a comfortable intimacy that is warm and welcoming. In these final months of temperate weather, the outdoor seating is also a great way for you and your friends to enjoy the fleeting opportunity to dine under the evening sky. On the dinner menu, you'll find a fairly diverse selection of burgers that should tickle your fancy. The classic Pub Burger is your standard building block, from which delectable creations like the Guinness BBQ Burger emerge. Offering Guinness BBQ Sauce, Cheddar cheese, and crispy onion rings, this is often the choice that has my mouth salivating long before the tasty morsel is in my grasp. If you need a little spice in your life, the Frickle-Peno Burger, a new addition this summer, might be just the kick you're looking for. Melted Habanero cheese, flash fried pickle chips and jalapeno rings, and a cool ranch sauce make for a filling burger that is never a dull experience. The sale allows you to indulge in the burger of your choice with a side of fries and a pickle wedge for just about $5.50. The only downside of Half Price Burger night at Ri Ra's is that it's no longer one of Burlington's best kept secrets. Having been established in 1999, Ri Ra's has been serving up delicious half price burgers for over a decade. If you are anything like me, your friends are all going to tag along for this delicious adventure, and if you don't call ahead you can find yourself dealing with a wait that your stomach was unprepared for.

In The Red Corner: The Challenger

Lucky for you, you are not cursed to suffer in agony for the half hour it might take for a table to open up at Ri Ra's. About fifty meters from where you stand at the brink of a delicious burger and death by starvation exists another option in your quest for a delicious Burger. Located at 148 Church Street, The Scuffer Steak and Ale Houseis fairly new to the Burlington scene, having been established in 2007. The newbie on the scene, they quickly let the public know that they meant business by starting a half price burger night on the same day as Ri Ra's! As a loyal Ri Ra's patron, I was skeptical and initially refused to take a risk on the holiest of burger days. That was, until I moved into an apartment with a young lady who was employed by the dark side. Slowly but surely she broke me down until I found myself seated outside the Scuffer on a Wednesday with a vague recollection of how I had gotten there. As an open minded individual who prides himself on being able to try anything once, I vowed not to allow myself to judge the restaurant before I gave it a fair chance. So I ordered a burger and a Switchback and dug in. The verdict: Delicious. After my first pleasurable visit, I accepted The Scuffer as a viable option for a comparably priced burger that hasn't failed to hit the spot. I still consider myself a member of Team Ri Ra's (you know, should a mid half-price-burger-night brawl break out), but it isn't easy to break a habit that has been as regular as any other schedule I have had since migrating here back in 2007.

It looks like it's up to you to give them a shot and come your own conclusion.

*Note: I must also warn you, just because you are paying half price for a burger, the value will soon be lost if you see the occasion as justification for ordering twice as many beers as you usually would. The math looks flawless, believe me I know (1/2x$burger = 2x$beers), but from endless trials and errors I have concluded that the formula is somehow incorrect. But don't fret, just relax and enjoy your burger, and keep your eyes glued to this blog. I'll be back in a jiffy to steer your night in the right direction once the meal has settled and its time for a nightcap... or two... or several.

Stay Classy Burlington, I'll See You There.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE RiRa's. So freakin good & I really like your detailed description of both restaurants. I don't really trust anyone's opinion on where to go to get some good grub. Mainly because they always tell me Skinny Pancake, which my best friend describes as absolutely disgusting (and I'm definitely going to take her word for it). But another reason is because I am a huge carnivore. Love meat. It's a must with every meal of mine so even though I've already experienced RiRa's delicious burgers, I now know I can come to you if I'm tryna eat somewhere in downtown Burlington.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, thank you!! I'm new to Burlington and only here for a semester so definitely looking for good places to eat & go out. Therefore looking forward to your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well stay tuned my temporary Burlingtonian friend, I will have quite a bit more for you before your time is up.

      Delete