Monday, September 17, 2012

Burlington's Finest Fall Festivities




Welp, with the temperature dropping and biddies already breaking out their Uggs, it seems as if it’s about that time of year again.  Autumn in Vermont.  Here’s my list of the top ten things that I love to do when the air gets crisper and the days get shorter.

10. Go to a Harvest Festival.  Considering we live in a state that mainly consists of farm, there are a plethora of farms around that hold wonderful things called Harvest Fests.  Normally, these are either free or just a few dollars to enter. Once inside, there are tons of food vendors with free samples and many local artisans showing off their work.  City Market has one coming up on October 7-put it in your calendars folks.

9. Apple picking. Fall would be nothing without apple picking.  There’s something magical about going to the orchard with friends, picking seven pounds of apples, and merely driving away satisfied.  Somehow though, apple picking always ends up taking me around ten minutes before my bag is full.  I don’t really know how this happens-maybe I just get excited and pick the first dozen apples that I see? If you want to prolong the picking experience, try to get a variety of apples.  Usually the different types of apples are in different parts of the orchard, so it will force you to walk around and take in the scenery.  Also, the best part of apple picking is that you can have as many free samples as you want.  Check out Shelburne Orchards in Shelburne or Adam’s Apples in Essex.


(https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhA1xX0qDGztKFQ9yU7FMzyrSr5eYKP-wMFfiP1SDoQjEGLhsdTpYOSbxz-rscXxzkWegGmvuvm7LpBJjvVS1_d7fPxYwevbfGOkbgfJdFFglseJMha0ztIREygWJB3roW-_jUTzwdZ5gSa/s1600/ShelburneOrchards.jpg)

8. Baking with apples.  I have to admit, this is one that I’m not all that fond of but most people are.  Although I love to bake, I really don’t like apple pie. Or apple crisp. Or any type of cooked apples.  So, after picking apples I end up doing most of the baking while my friends do all of the eating.

7. Warm drinks.  When outside in the fall, few things feel better than holding a warm drink in your hands and letting the steam swell around your face.  Everyone seems to be really into pumpkin spiced everything these days but, along with apples, pumpkin is just not really my thing. (I know that I don't like the two quintessential fall flavors of pumpkin and baked apples, but I swear that I actually love fall. A lot.)  So, if you were hoping to find out where to get the best pumpkin spiced latte in Burlington, you’ll have to keep looking.  But, might I recommend a mocha from Muddy’s? 

(http://thehautehousewife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/IMG_9738.jpg)


6. Bike along the waterfront.  A bike or stroll along the waterfront is a great way to take in Vermont in the fall.  Many people frequent the bike path that leads to North Beach, but I personally like to take the path that you catch down by the King Street Ferry.  It takes you in the opposite direction around the lake. I like to think it’s a bit less crowded and less traveled, whether there is truth to that, I have no evidence. 

5. The Giant Pumpkin Regatta. Every year, people of Vermont obsess over their pumpkin patches, striving to grow a pumpkin large enough to turn into a floatation device. Yes, you heard me. People grow pumpkins and turn them into boats and then race them on Lake Champlain and it’s SO COOL.  It is 100% free to watch these people dress up in costume, hop in their pumpkins, and struggle for their watercrafts to stay afloat in the frigid water. Fun fact: The Regatta was spoofed on SNL way back in 2008.  This years Pumpkin Regatta is taking place on October 7. The waterfront festivities start at 10 am and the first race is at noon.



(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2471/4001910957_47b6fd8665_z.jpg)



4. Create your Halloween costume.  I’m into Halloween. Like, really into Halloween.  I start planning my costume on November 1st each year. Some call it crazy, I call it enthusiasm.  Halloween is the one time a year when it is acceptable to dress up as whatever you want and run around town in said costume. Since this is a rare occasion, I spend a lot of time planning and making my Halloween costumes.  I take hours sifting through the racks at Goodwill searching for the perfect blue vest for my Zenon costume or going to JoAnn Fabrics to find the flawless green fabric to make a mermaid tail. Besides these two stores, check out Old Gold on Main Street for some costume ideas and accessories (note, many times they are ridiculously overpriced, but still fun to look at).

3. Carve pumpkins.  You can’t walk down any street in Burlington during the fall without seeing a carved pumpkin on someone’s front steps.  Part of the fun is going to the pumpkin patch and trying to find your ideal gourd, while the rest of the fun is scooping out the guts of the pumpkin and having your hands covered in slime.  Invite some friends over and have a contest to see who can carve the most intricate design. After carving, roast your pumpkin seeds for a quick snack.

2.  Drink seasonal beer. As stated in previous posts, I’m a bit of a Vermont beer fan. There are many breweries in the area that offer free tours and samples of their brews, seasonal or not, at the end.  Magic Hat currently has Hex on tap while Otter Creek is currently offering my favorite, Oktoberfest, on tap.  Long Trail has some great seasonal brews like Harvest and Pumpkin Ale, but their brewery is a bit far to drive to, so you’ll just have to enjoy them from the bottle  (or can, because they do that now).


(http://beerpulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Otter-Creek-Oktoberfest-body-label.png)



1. And the number one thing to do in the fall in Vermont: go hiking!  Everyone knows how beautiful Vermont is in the fall, yet many people like to go on scenic drives instead of experiencing the sights on foot.  Vermont has some incredible hiking trails that lead to gorgeous views of the surrounding area, and the views only get amplified during this time of the year.  If you’re looking for a short hike, try Mount Philo in Charlotte.  It only takes about an hour to do, but it still leaves you feeling satisfied and breathless as you look out at the Adirondack and Green Mountains.  If you’re looking for a bit more of a challenge, Mount Mansfield or Camel’s Hump may be more your style.  Both are day hikes that take anywhere from 3-5 hours to complete, depending on while trail you choose.  Of course, there are many other mountains to hike and trails to explore in the surrounding area, but those three are the most popular and easily accessible.  Bonus: The UVM Outing Club has a few moonlight hikes coming up (September 29 and October 28), as well as a sunrise hike to Camel’s Hump (October 20).


(http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4112/5079800836_e5f88f2beb_z.jpg)


And there they are. My ten favorite things to do in Vermont in the fall.  Hopefully something sparked your interest and you’ll go outside and enjoy the cool air and foliage as it starts to turn fiery red and yellow.




4 comments:

  1. Most people have a Burlington summer bucket list but I like the fall version! There's lots of fun Vermont things on this list that I'm gonna have to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I was not familiar with Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century. Um, it kinda makes me think of Robin Sparkles from HIMYM.

    Anyway, great list, and thanks for the info on the Pumpkin Regatta. Another fall event not to be missed is the annual VT Pumpkin Chuckin Festival at Boyden Family Farm, also on October 7th. So, if you've got transport (it's well out of town) and would rather see your pumpkins fly instead of sink, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I went to see the pumpkin races last year and it was pretty entertaining. I had never seen pumpkins that big before. Hiking is also a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goal is to complete this entire list. Thanks so much! I love the Pumpkin Regatta :)

    ReplyDelete