Monday, September 10, 2012

Duff Hour at Three Needs


Mondays are tough.  Anything and everything that happens on a Monday can determine how the rest of your week plays out.  Luckily, there is an event that happens every weekday in Burlington that can start your week off the right way.
Three Needs Brewery and Taproom, located on Pearl Street, is a fun bar that could easily be passed by without notice.  Considering most of the bars in downtown Burlington are within a two block radius of each other, getting to Three Needs may seem like a bit of a hike, but it is definitely a hike worth taking, especially on a weekday afternoon.  Every afternoon during the week Three Needs hosts Duff Hour, an event where a keg is tapped and pints only cost $1 until the keg is kicked.  The keg generally tends to be a seasonal micro-brew of Otter Creek, brewed nearby in Middlebury, Vermont.  So, by attending Duff Hour, you are actually supporting TWO local breweries-pretty freaking sweet.
            Not surprisingly, Duff Hour lasts for just around an hour, but it is the perfect break in your day to go kick back with some friends before heading back to reality. Since it is a pretty popular event among college students, there really isn’t much time to have more than one or two pints (or three or four, depending on how quickly you drink them) before the keg is kicked.  Knowing this, you typically don’t end up spending more than five dollars, including tip.
            Now, I don’t know about you, but I am a HUGE fan of Vermont brews.  This being said, Duff Hour is a magical time for me because I get to enjoy these brews at such a low and affordable cost while still being able to enjoy the fun atmosphere that Three Needs provides.  (I’m pretty sure the only thing that would make this better is if the bar also provided puppies to play with while you enjoyed your drink.)    
            So, why don’t you celebrate the rest of this beautiful, crisp Monday and head down to Three Needs with some buddies for some good beer and good times.  


1 comment:

  1. I loathe you for posting this for the world to see. Since the fateful day I was bequeath with the knowledge of this wonder of the modern world, this secret has been one I have protected with my life. It was bad enough making the miserable transition from a blissful summer in which 7+ beer Duff Hours were not uncommon to the current state of fighting for a mediocre 4. I hope you are forever cursed to be waiting in line with an empty pint glass when the keg kicks before your shifty eyes.

    That being said I feel as though I should give some positive advice to you newcomers. Duff hour is exactly what this post makes it out to be: amazing. It is the only deal like it that exists in the consistently overpriced bar scene in Burlington, and we should be eternally grateful for the opportunity to partake in such an activity. I have lived within a few blocks of this microbrew mecca for a couple of years now, and would undoubtedly consider myself a regular. As a bartender myself, I know most of the staff personally, and they are all good people as well as true professionals. That being said, I cannot emphasize strongly enough: TIP YOUR BARTENDER. If you are not shelling out a dollar tip per beer, you are wrong. You are paying TWO dollars total for pints of delicious locally brewed liquid gold. To disrespect them personally, as well as the generous establishment that they represent, is unacceptable. For those of you who were around prior to the move to Pearl street, I imagine you can recall how often rude newcomers were called out and shunned at the "Old Three Needs", left an exile to the glorious Duff. Tread lightly ladies and gentleman.

    As this fine city continues to change and the world learns of the majestic Duff Hour, I will do my best to adapt. Enjoy your Duff, stay respectful of employees and patrons alike, and above everything... If my glass is empty and that keg is about to kick, get the HELL out of my way.

    ReplyDelete