Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My top 10 favorite places to snag a bite in Burlington


Burlington has some damn good food. Some of the best food spots are the kinds where there aren't any of those silly sit-down and tip obligations. As a college student, I rarely have the time or the money to go through the whole restaurant procedure. 

Whether it's a sandwich or a burrito, there's nothing more satisfying than a quick and greasy fix when you need food the most. After my 3 years in Burly, I've developed some staples which are relatively cheap, and always satisfy my large appetite. The first five are in no particular order, but with pain-staking difficulty, I managed to narrow down those which are the best of the best, and put my 5 favorites in order of deliciousness. My criteria for the best of the best is overall quality, cheapness to serving size ratio, and variety.


10.) Kampus Kitchen

This deli located across from trinity campus is where you'll find your standard sandwiches like a  B.L.T, or breakfast sandwich. Kampus Kitchen doesn't have a spectacular atmosphere, or the most exciting options, but if you ever find yourself around Trinity, it's convenient to stop in and grab a sandwich for an affordable price. This place had to find its way onto this list because I spent my first years at UVM buying countless sandwiches from here. 

9.) Stacks

This relatively new sandwich joint is very good. They serve the hoagie style sandwich, and lemme tell ya, they do it proper. The menu is a bit limited, but the benefit is you can never go wrong with what you order. They have a bunch of spicy options, and I looove spicy. The chipotle turkey and buffalo chicken are among my favorites. Stacks is conveniently located on the corner of Pearl St. and N.  Winooski Ave. 

8.) City Market

City Market is such a totally cool, hip and trendy grocery store. They also happen to have a deli with some bomb-ass-dank-ass sandwiches. These sandwiches are obviously filled with their trendy, superior fresh and local ingredients. Due to the trendiness, they are not cheap (figures). Well it's alright, as long as it's not an everyday thing, there's nothing wrong with splurging on the trendiest sandwich in town every once in while. It would be a crime for me not to mention that they have delicious sushi too. You can even grocery shop while you're at it and use your super hip catscratch money to pay for it. Or if you feel like being an asshole, you can probably just take a few free samples of stuff and leave.

7.) Ahli Babas

This is where you can get a solid falafel or Kabob. They have an on-campus location, for convenience during the school day, and the downtown location for convenience while bar-hopping. The prices aren't too bad, and you will be nice and full after attacking one of their kabobs. 

6.) Feel Good Grilled Cheeses

These grilled cheeses are a perfect on-campus option, and are dankolicious. They have a lot of creative grilled cheeses that you would never think of, but work really well: there are some nice fall-style options that include apples, caramel, and cinnamon, but also your conventional grilled cheese with tomatoes and peppers. It is only $4 for the cheesy goodness, and all the money gets donated to end world hunger. What's better than saving the world, while enjoying delicious food? While the food here is great, I could not put them in my top 5, just because the service is a little slow. You can expect to wait at least 15 minutes for your grilled cheese, and sometimes it doesn't seem worth it. However, the people running it are friendly students and not food industry professionals, so I can accept to wait every once in a while. You can find them in the Davis Center tunnel every tuesday, wednesday and friday from 11am-3pm. 


(Now it's time for the count-down)

5.) Mr. Mikes

If you want a good slice of pizza, check out Mr. Mikes. They have standard slices, and the awesome special slices that are popping up in pizza places all throughout the nation (those wonderful bbq chicken, buffalo chicken, pesto, Hawaiian, etc..). This is the place where you can get a quick food fix for minimal money. One special slice is $2.50, and it pretty satisfying. But I always have to get two slices just because I'm a growing boy. This is a great spot for the late night munchies, and also a solid place to grab a few drinks.

4.) Kountry Kart Deli (KKD)

On Main St in the hub of the bars and across from the beautiful City Hall Park is the infamous KKD. This is the place you can crawl into at the end of a long night of binge drinking, and hang out with all the drunken left overs as they wait for their plate of greasy goodness. When I talk about a wonderfully greasy sandwich joint, this is it. The breakfast sandwiches are awesome, and I personally love the philly cheese-steaks, but you can't go wrong with anything. This place really comes in handy for the late-night drunken food fix, and frankly that's when it tastes the best. Read on for the best sober sandwich options.


3.) Henry St. Deli

Nestled in the neighborhood of the flat-landers, Henry St. has a special place in my heart because it's a block away from my home, and it is addicting. I'd venture to say they have the best breakfast sandwiches in town (especially if you get a bacon/sausage, egg and cheese on an everything bagel with hot sauce and green peppers--can you say perfect hang over cure for only $4??). They also have delicious hot grilled-chicken sandwiches, cold subs, and soups. You can expect to pay between $5-$8 for this stuff, depending on if you get a small or large (usually a large sandwich is good for two meals). Maybe I should be ashamed about the excessive amount of money I have tossed away to this establishment, but when I think about how happy it has made me, there is no reason to be ashamed. The people who work there are all super cool, and it's tough to have a bad experience. My only word of advice is to always call ahead of time so you can pick up your food and go. If you go at the wrong time you may be waiting close to a half hour for your sandwich. Like I say though, calling ahead will eliminate any of those issues.


2.) Bueno y Sano.

This Burrito spot on College St, is where you can pick up a massive and delicious burrito that is good and healthy (as the name implies). I like this Burrito joint the most because it's simple, yet insanely satisfying. You can get a standard burrito, or quesadilla for about $7 or $8, depending on your filling; that aint a bad price to pay, especially when you look at that nice full play to the right. Bueno y Sano has been my go-to burrito spot since freshmen year, and it never disappoints. Check out the menu. I always leave with that wonderful full-ass stomach with the da-itus to go with it. Boy oh boy do I love me a burrito!!! Yummmyyyy. (p.s. they accept catscratch!)


1.) Union Jacks

With great pride, I claim this British style sandwich shop on Shelburne Rd the winner. They have some daaank sandwiches, and are cheap! In this town, $7.50 seems to be the average price for a good sandwich. At Union Jacks you can get a huge sandwich for $5.50!!! You can make your own sandwich or order one of their awesome special sandwiches. Check out the menu and see for yourself how creative some of these choices are. My favorites are the Cheeky Bugger and Turkey Lurkey. All their ingredients are fresh, right off the slicer. You get to choose your own bread too. If you want to add a side of fries, or "chips" as their called (since it's british food), and a drink it's just just an extra $2. I get the fries every time because they're fried, crispy and delicious. You can douse them in heavenly malt vinegar, which is my favorite part. They also have the best fish & chips in town. Aside from the food, the service is great, and the people who work there are super friendly. The owners are actually British! They don't mess around, and they get your sandwich prepared in a timely fashion. Union Jack's is definitely my favorite food spot in Burlington. Check them out, it's definitely worth it to take the trip. They are located at 370 Shelburne Rd. 


And there are my 10 favorite places to snag a bite in Burlington. My mouth is watering after making this list. I'm sorry if I left someone's favorite place out. But hopefully if you have not been to some of these places you'll check them out. What are some of your favorite food spots that I didn't mention here?

2 comments:

  1. KKD is my favorite late night stop for a greasy sandwich. I think red onion deserves to make the list.... a little hole in the wall with delicious homemade bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will second the fact that I think The Red O deserves a slot, although pretty pricey, It's a VT staple that I rarely allow visitors to leave without trying. KKD is only appealing because of their ungodly hours that seem perfectly catered to late nights and early mornings of work and play. Frankly, I think they make a mediocre sandwich at best (with the exception of the shiner family- but breakfast sandwiches are entirely another conversation) and their bread is sub-par.

    ReplyDelete