Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Great Vermont Outdoors: My Top Ten Trips


I LOVE the outdoors. Like many who come here, UVM was a top choice for college because of it’s natural beauty and the mountains.

I have spent a lot of time hiking, walking, canoeing and simply enjoying the Vermont countryside.

This is my top ten list of things to do outside your dorm for free or almost free.  All you need is a car, bus and a few friends (hiking alone can be dangerous, but sometimes a nice walk in solitude is just what my weekend needs). This list is solely based on experiences I have had and I’m sure more could be added to list after another year of exploring. What would you add?

10.Apple picking at Allenholm Farm

Apple picking is a must for anyone who lives in Vermont. It's fun, relatively cheap, and you get to take home a bag full of delicious apples that can be used in all kinds of recipes. A whole day can be used to cook up some warm apple pies from fresh Vermont fruit. 



9. The Bike Path

The bike path rides along the lake Champlain shoreline and is so beautiful especially during the changing of the leaves. It is calm and quiet. Great for walks and rides.

8. Kayaking on Lake Champlain

I took a great trip with my roommate out on the lake this summer. We packed a lunch and kayaked around the shoreline. We found some rocks and enjoyed a relaxing picnic in complete solitude, watching the sailboats and catching some sun. It was the perfect day and the rentals were only $15.


7. The Causeway

Although it was pretty damaged from Tropical Storm Irene, I got a chance to visit the causeway before it was closed. Since they are restoring it and I hope people will get to experience what I did soon, I put it on my list. As a freshman, I had limited transportation my first year at school. Since my friends and I couldn’t easily make it out to the mountains, we rented some gear and went camping instead. We caught a bus downtown and walked all the way to and down the causeway, a thin strip of land that juts right out into the lake for miles. We walked all the way to the cut, where you would need a boat to cross to the other side. We set up camp, enjoyed some dinner and hookah, and relaxed under the stars. It was an unforgettable trip.

6. Hiking Mount Philo

With a group of my girlfriends, I hiked Mount Philo in August. It was a nice easy hike that only takes about 40 minutes. The view from the top is amazing. It looks out to rolling Vermont countryside and mountains in the background. We sat at the top for hours, enjoying a lazy afternoon in the grassy field on the summit before heading back down.

5. Canoeing in the ‘daks 

I went on an Outing Club trip into the adirondaks for an overnight trip. It was fantastic. We canoed through the lakes and visited various islands, just having fun and getting to know new people. The scene was cold, but the beauty of the calm lakes in the wilderness is quite relaxing.

4. Camel’s Hump in the summer

A good and relatively challenging mountain that is well worth the 3 hour hike. A must for any Vermont hiker.

3. Sterling Pond

After reaching the Stowe summit and heading back down, you are at a pond in the middle of a mountain. A great way to cool off after a nice hike. I ended up here at the end of my TREK trip. Such a wonderful place.


2. Camel’s Hump in the winter
 
Even better than the summer is Camel’s Hump in the winter. Cold? Yes. Best time of your life? Also a solid yes. With a thick pile of snow, you will need snow shoes, but that is what makes it fun! Also, the winds are crazy at the top and there is no view except a cloud of white (when I went up) but it did not lessen the accomplishment at all. The best part? On the way down, you just snuggle up in a giant black trash bag and slide down the mountain. After a 3 hour hike up, we were down the mountain in 20 minutes after the best sledding experience of my life. This was SUCH a fun trip.


1. Mount Mansfield
If I am going to write a blog post about being outdoors in Vermont, Mount Mansfield simply has to get the number one spot. As the highest mountain in Vermont, Mansfield is a must-hike. The lodge is fun and has a great view on its own. Also, taking the route up the chin is a little scary because you are literally leaping over large splits of rock on the bare side of a mountain, but that was the best part. I always love passing the tree line. The view from the top is spectacular. Winter or summer, this is a trip to remember.

So that’s it! Get out there and start exploring the great outdoors! What are your favorite spots and adventures in Vermont?

4 comments:

  1. great list! Nothing quite compares to Vermont's natural beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being from Vermont, I kind of forget how beautiful this state really is. :')

    Thanks for sharing this list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I like that you included camel's hump twice for different seasons. Can't wait for the causeway to open again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome list - I am making my way through some of the things on this list as well as many more! Trying to make the most of the great Vermont outdoors. Still yet to see snow here, fingers crossed we get some soon!

    ReplyDelete