Friday, November 2, 2012

The Powers of Meditation


Meditation will help improve your concentration, increase self-awareness and improve your mental health by banishing negative emotions and stress.  It is a chance for you to turn off your thoughts and just get lost in your self.  A lot of people are intimidated by meditation because they don’t understand what happens after they close their eyes.  The answer is, nothing. That is the beauty of it.  There is no wrong way to meditate.  Clear your mind and just surrender to your body.  If a thought comes into your head, acknowledge it, let it flutter away and then center your self again.  The more you practice 
the easier it will be to clear your mind, and those intrusive thoughts will become less common.

Basic Steps of Meditation:
  1. Find a comfortable quiet space
  2. Sit down with your legs crossed
  3. Lower your arms to your side
  4. Close your eyes
  5. Clear your mind
  6. Focus on your breathing
  7. Begin meditation

Your first attempts will be awkward. But just remember that meditation is all about you.  So if something isn’t working abandon it.   And like everything else in life it takes practice.  But if you stick with it I think you will be surprised at the results. 
Click here for mindfulness video and audio exercises provided by UVM’s center for health and well being.  And click here for links to meditation and yoga centers.

I hope you find inner peace.








3 comments:

  1. Loved your presentation. I am definitely working on being more at ease. But oddly it takes practice to relax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    I need to put aside some time to practice meditating. With the end of the semester coming up so fast, having a moment of relaxation would be perfect in order to de-stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delivery my man. I thought your presentation was both entertaining and informative. Not just in the scholastic "he got the assignment" kind of way, but in the personal "oh shit this is actually interesting, I think I'm going to try it" kind of way.

    As a currently unmedicated survivor of the ADHD epidemic, I am regularly looking for things to help me keep some semblance of order in my head. I had a close friend briefly introduce me to meditation back in high school, but I wasn't nearly open minded enough to see it as something more than a novelty.

    I want to thank you for bringing these ideas back into the foreground at a time when I could really use some peace and order.

    ReplyDelete