Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Old North End's Best Kept Secret



Many would have you believe that very little good can come from living in the Old North End, and after living in the notorious section of Burlington for the past few years myself, I wouldn't be in a place to vehemently disagree. In a general sense it has lived up to its hype as the more "dicey" section of our familiarly friendly college city. Between my two North End residences, I have experienced three break in attempts (all of which were unsuccessful... thank you very much second amendment rights), and countless cases of vandalism to property and vehicles. It seems appropriate we are a mere couple of blocks away from the Burlington Police Station, the presence of their cars in my neighborhood a regularity most nights, I imagine they would waste a lot of money on gas if they had to travel much further.

Support of stereotypes aside, I have rather enjoyed my time in the lesser explored sector of Burlington. Having also lived in Winooski, as well as the "College Ghetto" off of Pearl in the hills section, and I prefer the peace and quiet of the O.N.E. over the constant bother of being surrounded by the rowdy college crowd that has infiltrated most neighborhoods in Burlington. The fact that my rent is half the price doesn't hurt either. The convenient yet secluded location has proven worth the occasional "B&E" and the few extra blocks added to the campus walk. Other than the environment alone, being in the O.N.E. has led to the exploration of an area that would have otherwise fell off of my radar here at UVM. Recently, with the company of a close friend, I stumbled upon something that would be wrong of me not to share with you.



ONE Pepper Grill

If you are anything like I was a week ago, that name means nothing to you. Sitting with its unassuming exterior at 260 North Street, the hand painted sign and plethora of neon beer advertisements in the windows seems nostalgic, a nod to the old pubs of the past. Admittedly, I had driven past this corner for over a year, barely noticing the restaurant that sat a block from my own home. Sitting at a corner that also housed the Africa Market, as well as a bodega style convenience store (complete with attached sports jersey shop) it just fit into its surroundings as another part of your stereotypical O.N.E. attractions.

I was thrilled when Garret contacted me last Wednesday boasting about a deal for $1.50 tacos he had stumbled upon while exploring one of the many Burlington guides that litter the city. I was, without a doubt, in for any adventure that ended in Tacos, so we set off to find the elusive host of this delicious hump day deal. As we followed google maps on our Iphones it quickly became clear where we were headed. Caught off guard but not quite discouraged, we forged ahead, past my house toward the corner I had traveled through a million times.


One we gritted our teeth and dove through the threshold, we found that our concern was without cause. The place was, in a word, awesome. We immediately took a seat in a comfortable booth with a good view of the street (it would be a sacrilege not to people watch in the O.N.E.) and inquired about the mystical taco special. We indeed had it right, $1.50 soft and hard tacos on Wednesdays, but there was a catch. There were other rules. What might those be you ask? You have to eat in, and you have to drink. I shit you not, drinking on taco night is a requirement. It isn't one of those "we're going to fuck you with expensive beer to make up for our food deal" kind of requirements either. Tall boys are $1.50 all day long.

I was immediately in love.

We sat in that booth late into the evening, eating delicious tacos until we couldn't possibly stomach one more (Garret bested me by 2 tacos in the end, 6-8). Needless to say, my mind had been changed. Little did we know when we ventured out on this trip that we were just scraping the tip of the iceberg. The deals in this place are consistently phenomenal. Mondays are $0.25 cent wing night, Thursdays are $3 microbrews, and Wednesdays leave you with free fries and a Coke. All of this is on top of their ludicrous every-day drink specials.

Their online menu is currently down while they design a new website, but take my word for it, a trip into the O.N.E. to experience the ONE Pepper Grill is a decision that you will not regret. What is life without taking a little risk once in a while?

Especially if that risk ends in delicious $1.50 tacos and thirst quenching $1.50 tall boys.



1 comment:

  1. I went here back in my freshmen year once and was blown away by the crazy prices, they also served me beers even though i wasn't even close to 21. I kinda forgot about it, but now I'm reminded and need to go back here asap!!

    ReplyDelete