Saturday, November 24, 2012

Theatre: Great performances that don't empty your pockets

I just read a wonderful post from the blog Art Collective about the wonders of live theater. The blogger, Penelope C., wrote about how theater is unpredictable  You can see the same show 5 times and the performance will always be different. Also, she wrote about the craft of theater, with it's stages, costumes, lights, and talent.

I have to say that I completely agree. I have been to quite a few live theater performances and they are always fantastic. What is great about Burlington is that there are tons of options for seeing a show and they are generally affordable for students!

1. The Flynn: The Flynn is great because it is a historic theater that has dance, musicals, plays and more ranging from Broadway talent to the local high school kids. And tickets aren't that much. You could see a wonderful performance of local talent for a little as $10. I saw Chicago last year by actors from UVM, St. Mike's, and Burlington High School. I was very impressed.  But even if you want to see the real deal, tickets for off-Broadway performances are literally HALF the price of tickets you would try to obtain in Boston. Same actors. Same show. Half the price. I love Burlington! Spring Awakening last year was a must-see.

2. Royall Tyler Theatre: You don't even have to leave campus for great entertainment  Student performers at the Royall Tyler Theatre are incredible. I always leave with a smile on my face after seeing the talent that comes from my peers. The sets, costumes and lights are always done by students as well. And the student tickets? Only $7!

So do yourself a favor and check out what is coming up next at the local theatres. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed!




1 comment:

  1. (Thank you so much for referencing my post!)

    But yes! I love how much Burlington has to offer. The Flynn is fantastic--I saw Hairspray there last year, and it was wonderful. And of course the Royall Tyler Theater is amazing as well.

    ReplyDelete